Tuesday, June 17, 2014

More Changes and Father's Day.


Nixon the Cat is doing well at the Golf Course. We had adopted him from the Humane Society but things did not work out. After 48 hours up in the top of a tree, probably the work of our other cat Jack, we felt we had no choice but to re-home him once he found his way down safely. Our friends at the golf course offered to take him after they heard our story. So far so good according to our friends, and I hope that he is enjoying his new home!

We have another New Addition to our family. A puppy I named Charlotte. Last Saturday I went to a rescue and picked out a puppy to foster. We will attempt to potty train, socialize, and help vet this little pup, with the understanding that we have first choice at adoption if all goes well. She is 10 weeks old with a sensational appetite. She needs to work on her manners a little bit, but all in all she is a joy. My husband could not be happier because I will now shut up about wanting a dog.


My husband has changed jobs again, and this time I actually feel pretty good about the change. He received an offer which was a much deserved promotion in his field. I am so proud for him. He is the hardest working person I have ever known, he deserves this and so much more!

Father’s Day has come and gone since my last blog, and I would be amiss if I did not acknowledge the Father’s that have impacted my life.

First; My Father-- Whose life plan took a u-turn from what he thought it would be long ago. My father you see was a natural athlete and excelled in every sport, but Football was his first love. He was offered a full ride sports scholarship out of high school and was going to quarterback for UVA. But as fate would have it, things took a turn with a devastating and life changing knee injury in 1955. He lost his scholarship and was forced to drop out of college and join the Air Force. After he finished his military charge, he returned to college with the GI Bill and a part time job in retail. He was back on track to find his way back into sports as a teacher and coach. But yet again fate stepped in and my father's life changed again. He was at work one day and saw my mother when she came to pick her brother up after work. He requested a meeting, they began dating, and before you knew it, they were starting a family. Teaching and coaching was still on the horizon, but now with two more mouths to feed my father had to find a more immediate way to make more money, and that meant he would have to go to school less. His employer obliged him with fulltime employment along with opportunities for advancement; which lead him to a very lucrative thirty-five year tenure with a major retailer. He provided for our family without waiver, took me to church with him every Sunday, and made sure I not only meet my relatives but I knew them. He is now about to turn 77 and has become quite frail but still manages to work in the yard and garden every day and make church every Sunday. I love my father with all my heart, I miss him being young, but I am so grateful to still have him with me. I went to visit with him and my mother this past weekend, we went out to lunch together and I gave him a card. It never seems enough for a man who did what he had to do to take care of his own. Few men today do what my father did with the grace and kindness that he possessed. Fate blessed me with both of my parents!

Second; My Husband-- I so wish I had children with this man. He is by far the most reasonable and understanding man I have ever known. He rarely shows his emotions, but I can feel him. He is absolutely the most generous person I have ever known, and also the hardest working man ever. He will do anything for the ones he loves; he is filled with compassion for all, and makes no apologies for his heart. I love this man like I have never loved another, above all and with all that I am.

Third; The Father of my Children-- This man gave me the gift of knowing unconditional love through the birth of my two children, and for that I will always be grateful. I think he did the best he could as a father and he loves them both very much. I wish our family had been less toxic together; but we managed to overcome that by coming apart, and we are all better for that. He and I were way too young to understand so much about ourselves let alone about life.

Happy belated Father’s Day to all the “Stand Up” guys out there who did what they had to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment