Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Summertime-Summertime

Summertime-Summertime; it is no doubt… my favorite time of the year!
Oh I know that the humidity and 90 - 100 degree temps are not ideal, but I would much rather have that to greet me every day rather than temps below 60 degrees or bone chilling cold winds and rain. I love the snow; but I think that is basically because I have not had to deal with snow that much living in the south. I do not like the mornings when I pull back the comforter only to be greeted by the cold air and a cold floor! Burrrrrrrrrrr!




With Charlotte, our rescue pup,


I get up at 4:30 in the mornings to let her outside to relieve herself. I go outside with her- in my short gown and slip on shoes- and I absolutely love the fact that the temps are warm and inviting. Charlotte and I walk together out to the dog pen; and I sit under the trees listening to the birds before the dawn, while she strolls around the yard looking for her perfect spot. She is struggling a little bit being home alone during the day with my husband out of town and me working long hours four days a week. I come home every day at lunchtime to love and play with her, but she still is having some isolation issues. Fostering is a tough job; you get so attached and invested in these dogs and then you have to say goodbye. Even knowing they are not the right fit for you and going to a great home does not make saying goodbye any easier. My husband found us another rescue dog last week. His name is Winston and he is coming to us from Arkansas. He is to arrive today and I know Charlotte will be so happy to have a buddy. For me, if you have one dog you might as well have two. I am excited to meet him but puppies are a lot of work! He has been completely vetted and is an older pup around 8 months; so I am hoping he has good behavior and can help teach Charlotte. Winston was a stray puppy found scavenging for food in a Wal-Mart parking lot when he was quite young. He has been sheltered ever since and I am hoping for a smooth transition to “home life”.

In the south (generally speaking) there are no spay and neuter laws that help reduce and prevent over population and puppy abandonment. The number of rescued, sheltered, abandoned, feral and euthanized dogs in the South is staggering. In fact the numbers are so high that rescue organization can vet and transport dogs continually month after month to New England seemingly never ending. I am not a “rescue” person per say, but I have from time to time taken in rescue pups/dogs, and even rescued a few myself. But I do not have a house full of rescue dogs. I know many rescue folks that just can’t say NO, and have 8-10-12 dogs at a time. I don’t have the patience or halo for that kind of dedication.


Sometimes I feel like I have just abandoned my addict son, but unlike a puppy left to its own recourse, my son knows the way to renewal, recovery and a better life. Sir Elton John helped to write the lyrics to The Circle of Life –written for The Lion King and often it does me a world of good to read them and remember…

~It’s the leap of faith, it’s the band of hope…In the circle, the circle of life.

I offer these lyrics to you today on this rainy summer day, I hope they help you like they help me!

The Circle of Life~

From the day we arrive on the planet
And blinking, step into the sun
There's more to be seen than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done

Some say eat or be eaten
Some say live and let live
But all are agreed as they join the stampede
You should never take more than you give

In the circle of life, it's the wheel of fortune
It's the leap of faith, it's the band of hope
Till we find our place on the path unwinding
In the circle, the circle of life

Some of us fall by the wayside
And some of us soar to the stars
And some of us sail through our troubles
And some have to live with the scars

There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found
But the sun rolling high through the sapphire sky
Keeps great and small on the endless round

No comments:

Post a Comment