Friday, December 19, 2014

Maybe Christmas Means a Little Bit More

Living life with addiction certainly has its ups and downs just like a “regular” life (whatever that is). 



 Another year is coming to a close and with it many (including myself) being to think about the New Year coming and what resolutions need to be made.  Living life with addiction I am constantly reminded to live life one day at a time, so why should I bother with a resolution?  Starting over, starting a new with the New Year is a popular tradition, but the first day of the year is really just another day isn’t it?

Some of us have a hard time with one day at a time.  I believe that my son is well suited for one day at a time where I am not.  For example, at Christmas I plan and plan for weeks ahead of time.  Menus, cooking, budgets, shopping, wish list, chores, recipes, etc.  The three days before Christmas I almost have everything down to the hour.  It is crazy really how I plan and plan because all my planning is really just wishful thinking.  Things rarely get done according to my plans, but everything seems to works out fine. 







I suppose living one day at a time doesn’t mean you can’t make plans, it really just means that today is all that matters right now.  For an addict these words bring relief and hope that as long as they focus just on today, and not think about tomorrow or the next day, the goal seems much more doable.  In all my planning what I am trying to figure out is how I will be able to do all that needs to be done?  One day at a time!   One way in which I don’t have a big problem with one day at a time is financially.  I know I should put more away and save more, but something always comes up that seems to be more prudent than saving.  Month to month, week to week, day to day is how we manage our money, and we will figure out the rest as we can.

Last year it was painfully obvious, even though my son did try to hide it, that his active addiction was taking its toll on him.  It broke my heart to see him less than the man I knew him to be, but I was happy he was there with us for Christmas.  My son is currently living in a transitional sober living residence unit, and has been clean for about 90 days.  He will be coming home to share Christmas with us on Christmas Eve and I am so happy for him because he says he is much happier!


My wish for everyone who is living life with addiction is that on this Christmas Day may the disease be silent and may the love shine through!





After all Love is the meaning of the day and I think that is what makes Christmas a special day. 

God Bless,
And
Merry Christmas… and Let there be peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment