Thursday, January 2, 2014

In with the NEW

With a tick of the clock, a new year rushed in. My husband and I sat on the couch for several hours going back-in-forth between stations watching the different celebrations taking place on television; (happy to be at home I might add) all for a quick second to arrive, a kiss, a toast of champagne, and then it was over.
All in all we had a wonderful day together. New Years Eve is our anniversary and we always manage to have a fabulous meal and a day dedicated to US! Every other year we try and go somewhere to celebrate, which was brought on by having kids every other weekend due to our blended family. We have been married for 9 years now, and this was our year to stay home. Over the past years we have been to Clarksdale MS, Ashville NC, New Orleans LA, Key West, FL, & Memphis TN,
I have read many blogs and thoughts about the “New Year” and the different approaches to it’s coming. Just like every individual there is a different opinion and attitude. Some of us are happy and excited about a New Year coming, some of us are sad, some of us do not know what to think, and then others of us are just ‘so- so’. There is no right or wrong to it, I think what matters the most is what you happen to be feeling at that particular moment and at that time. For instance, I had no preconceived notions about the coming new year, but my daughter was adamant that she could not wait for the new year, as 2013 had been less than kind to her. She felt good about saying goodbye to a year she did not want to remember. Others I know had fantastic things transpire in 2013, like the healthy birth of their second son and they will forever remember 2013 in joy! So with us all just as in everything, we all have our different experiences that shape us and our mood and outlook.

None of us know what the coming year will bring but, I believe firmly that trying to keep a positive outlook can only help you to deal with whatever happens in a positive manner.
I myself had very sad things happen during 2013, but over all I also have so much to be thankful for. I have a mantra that I want to live; to find the “good” in whatever challenges me. This sounds like such a small thing, but this will be difficult for me I know. I project and worry without realizing how I get to those places in my mind sometimes. For example, on my anniversary as I thought about the love that I feel for my husband on our special day, I found myself projecting about how sad and alone I will be if my husband passes away before me. He is my best friend, and we hardly do anything apart from each other. My husband and I have a very small and intimate group of people that we call “friends”. We do not see them on a regular basis, but we do manage to get together from time to time. They are mostly couples, and I was thinking how if I become a widow, not only will I miss my husband, but none of them will want to “hang” out with me anymore, and I will surely become a hermit. Talk about projecting! I do not know where these crazy thoughts come from, but before I knew it I was sad and crying as I was driving home! I cried for a while (maybe 3-4 minutes) and then I began to think … Ok then… you had better enjoy today and be sure and let him know how much you DO love him! And I immediately felt better and went on to have a fabulous day with my husband! Yes I got sad for a few minutes, yes I projected a real possibility of the future, but I also turned that around and something wonderful came from that!

For me, a “New” year is something new and unknown. Who knows what will come. It is a “starting over” option if you want. A new beginning, if you so choose. A surprise if you like!
Having a loved one (my son) who is a (self professed) heroin addict, I have to believe in the possibility of new beginnings that can happen at any moment. A new beginning is a wonderful wonderful thing to have happen!
So I say…bring on 2014. I will keep hope alive and enjoy any and every wonderful thing to come. And if a not so wonderful thing comes, then I will search for whatever good in that I can find and hold on tight!
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment