Thursday, September 11, 2014

09/11/2014


13 years


 

I can remember it so clearly and even today when I see those images of planes being hijacked and used as weapons of mass destruction I feel so very sad and lost.  Our leaders try to reassure us sounding calm and resolved; but there are no words that can console us.   This year I watched a program on September 10, about the events that led up to 9/11/01 on the NGC.  The program is very interesting, filled with new insights and new stories of some of those lost on that terrible day.

 

Around 3000 people died from the events of 9-11 and over 3000 children lost a parent that day.  The total number of those who were directly affected as family members, friends, neighbors, mentors or co-worker is far greater still.  The tragedy on 9-11 touched our entire nation, and our nation mourned with those loved ones, and we remember their loss every anniversary.  This was not some natural disaster; this was a deliberate act of hate that changed our nation forever.   

 

This is a photo that I took at the 9-11 Pentagon Memorial in DC.

 

My feelings of loss for 9-11 are similar to my feelings of loss toward my addict son.  A numb feeling that comes from a lack of understanding even though I know what happened.  I can either harbor hate for what has happened or I can move past it, but either way I can never forget the tragedy.  As we try to adjust and we strive to be vigilant to protect ourselves and the innocent, we must move on.   

 

As I write this blog on the 13th Anniversary of 9-11 my son sits in a triage room at a detox center in a mental health facility in hopes of being admitted.  I want to feel happy about the wonderful news of today, but I am afraid.  I am afraid to be happy for him or myself.  I am afraid to say “Hallelujah--- he has found his way to fight this horrible disease”.   But deep down inside I am very relieved, maybe not happy, but my hope has grown like the Grinch’s heart did on Christmas Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment