Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Another "Mother's Day"




I don’t get too hung up on “Mother’s Day” stuff! It has never been a big deal to me other than to be sure that I get my mother’s card to her on time! I did not get a Mother's Day card from any of my kids or grandkids, but I had a GREAT Mother's Day!

When my parents decided to retire to Florida, I had to approach Mother’s Day a week ahead of time, or my card would be late, and heaven forbid my card be late for any occasion! My father has a special way about him where he can make me feel so horrible about things like that.
‘Well, it only take a few moments to put a card in the mail, you would think that would not be too much to ask, but I guess it is.’ And he is correct!
Now, that my parents have moved back to Tennessee to be close to my brother I can usually arrange to visit them on special occasions. Knowing that their health will probably soon begin to fail as they continue to age, I want to be with them when I can more these days. I respect both of my parents for many different reasons, and of course I love them dearly. My husband and I made the two hour drive to spend the day with them Saturday before Mother’s Day. We went out to lunch; my daughter drove down also so we all had a nice visit. I took my Mom shopping to the local mall, mainly because she only shops Wal-Mart and Goodwill which I think is great, and I shop there too, but I wanted her to have a nice outfit to have for the summer. She would only allow me to purchase things that were on sale and “a good bargain”, but we did manage to find a few things for her. We had a nice visit; my father noticed how much weight I have gain since I quit smoking! HA! Thanks Dad!

So I had Sunday-Mother’s Day- to spend with my husband! Our Mother’s Day tradition has been to sleep in, have breakfast and hit the golf course! I am not a very good golf player (golfer…whatever), but one thing that does NOT help my golf game is having people playing behind me. I don’t like to be rushed, nor do I like for people to see me take a ‘mulligan’. Our first year together my husband made it clear to me that I was NOT his mother! We joke about that now, but I have certainly had to be a Mother to all of his 5 children, just as he has been a wonderful Father to my 2 children, he got me a really nice card! On Mother’s Day most golf courses don’t get the early morning golfers. I guess they feel the need to be with their Mother’s or wives, so we usually have the course all to our self. This year was no different, the weather was beautiful, and I actually hit the ball well on most holes. I only had major trouble on one hole, in one sand trap where I ended up not finishing that hole! I have a little bit of a temper where that little white ball is concerned. I had a really wonderful weekend!

We head out on our 12 day vacation this coming weekend. I am very excited as we have been planning this trip since December. No doubt I will return with funny stories to tell, and hopefully some of my son’s challenges will be complete as well. He has two court appearances that he must address and his future and outcome is uncertain. I was able to spend a little time with him yesterday and he certainly was upbeat. He seemed very clear minded and in a very good mood. He ate well, which is always a good sign, and was pleasant and helpful. We allow him to come to our home and do his laundry each week and we always offer him food while he is with us. He still has the same job that he got back in March of this year, he has not asked for anything from us in weeks, and certainly seems to be doing a little better with his… life with addiction. It’s not much, but we have no expectations and just live by the boundaries we have in place for him and for ourselves. I love my son so very much, but I cannot live HIS life for him!

I hope you all had a nice weekend and if you did not have the best of weekends, don’t give up! Most of the time our happiness is really just up to us, the hardest part is figuring that out! Nothing has to be perfect, but everything should be on your terms and what YOU need in order to find JOY!
Happy Belated Mother’s Day to all the Mother’s out there; and all the Father’s too!

No comments:

Post a Comment